Custom Search

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Eyjafjallajokull

Since Thursday my finger has been on the pulse of Earth: I have been following the movements of the omnipresent volcanic ash quite closely. I had a flight to New York to catch on Friday. I had a weekend to spend with Ivailo and Emily. Well, all this didn't happen because of Eyjafjallajokull. John Cleese (Monty Python) reminded me through The Guardian of the saying that if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. Well, after saying this John took a 5,400 $ taxi from Oslo to Brussels.....He must be still making some bugs from the royalties on his films....

I wonder if I should blame the poor guy Eyjafjallajokull (Yesterday I was thinking of the fundamental difference between Icelandic names and other names, take Etna for example) for not having conducted extensive consultations with me if it was a good time to erupt. His behaviour is not at all in the good democratic traditions of proper stakeholder consultation.

If only he had contacted me in advance and invited me for a tea at his place (heated with his own energy) we could have negotiated something and I could have convinced him to wait 24 hours as this was my first trip to New York. I could have persuaded him that there were talks to be talked with Ivailo and Emily, streets to be walked and drinks to be drunk.

There is something flattering to be implicated in such a global affair like the eruption of a volcano. One feels a part of a grand scheme more than usual. This is not any more something that is happening to some people in some airports telling the camera that they haven't showered for 2 days. I am already in the game of global interdependencies.

4 comments:

Jelica said...

It is clear that you cannot trust a volcano with a name like that. With Etna, there might be room for negotiations--24h here, 24h there. But with something called Eyjafjallajokull I think there can be only a one-way communication.

Of course, if you believe that destiny is a crazy thing, maybe there was a good reason for you to be grounded in Budapest right now.

Albert Lázaro-Tinaut said...

You have a very good blog.
I will be added it to my blog in Spanish TRANSEÚNTE EN POS DEL NORTE (http://transeuntenorte.blogspot.com/).
Best regards from Barcelona.

Maria Koleva said...

Do you guys actually type this volcano name or you copy-paste it every time? Great post, Ruslan, as always :)

Ruslan said...

Thank you very much, Albert and Maria! I hope to share some thoughts with you in the future.